I've decided to jump on this blogging bandwagon. Let's hope that this attempt to record my thoughts and life happenings goes better than my long-lost livejournal of yesteryear.
At the very least, I can pretty much promise that this blog will contain less whining.
So, what can you expect from Dr. Zetcetera?
Full disclosure, I am not yet a doctor. I am a 4th year (actually 5th year) medical student, and I will graduate in May 2012. I plan to go into Family Medicine, and will start residency in June 2012. I am also a healthcare reform zealot, a feminist, and a Quaker. I have been a nanny and in the future (spoiler alert!) I will be a parent.
Some topics/themes I plan to cover (in no particular order):
- the doctor-patient relationship
- the dehumanizing elements of medical care and medical education
- the experience of illness
- end of life care
- spirituality in medicine
- work-life balance
- physician privilege
- why healthcare reform is pretty awesome and how it could be awesomer
- healthcare as a basic human right
- the built environment and health
- the misguided "war on obesity"
- the challenges facing women in medicine
- nannying stories from the trenches
- the residency match process
- medical mysteries - how doctors deal with things science doesn't understand
- the feminist/Quaker/doctor/hippie take on news of the day
That should be enough to get started!